Most movies start at dusk, and a few have rain dates if the weather does not cooperate. All movies are free and open to the public!
Here are the FREE Outdoor Movie Series for Summer 2018 in the Greater Boston area:
Boston Harbor Hotel’s Movies by the Moonlight
Boston Harbor Hotel has a free movies series every Friday night in the hotel’s courtyard from June 15, 2018 to August 31, 2018 this summer starting at dusk.
- June 15: When Harry Met Sally
- June 22: It Happened One Night
- June 29: Grease
- July 6: Field of Dreams
- July 13: The Lion King
- July 20: Splash
- July 27: Wizard of Oz
- August 3: Breakfast at Tiffany’s
- August 10: The Karate Kid
- August 17: Hook
- August 24: Dr. No
- August 31: Out of Africa
To view the complete schedule or for more information, please head here.
Free Friday Flicks at the Hatch Shell
WBZ NewsRadio 1030 and the Department of Conservation and Recreation host this annual outdoor movie series. Free Friday Flicks are Fridays this summer at the DCR Hatch Shell starting June 22, 2018 to August 24, 2018. Movies start at dusk but the fun kicks off at 6PM.
- June 22: Despicable Me 3
- July 13: Emoji Movie
- July 20: Elf
- July 27: Cars 3
- August 3: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- August 10: Coco
- August 17: Beauty and the Beast
- August 24: Thor: Ragnarok
For more information about Free Friday Flicks at the Hatch Shell, please head here.
Magic 106.7 Family Film Festival at the Prudential Center
Magic 106.7 Family Film Festival takes place every Saturday night from July 7, 2018 to August 25, 2018 at the Prudential Center’s South Garden. Free outdoor movies start at dusk, but entertainment, children activities, and more start at 6PM. The rain date for all films are the following Tuesday if needed.
- July 7: The Lion King
- July 14: SING!
- July 21: Coco
- July 28: Wonder
- August 4: The Incredibles
- August 11: Mulan
- August 18: Tarzan
- August 25: A Wrinkle in Time
For more information about the free Family Film Festival, please head here.
Movies in the Park at Assembly Row
Enjoy a free movie under the stars at Sylvester Baxter Riverfront Park in Somerville on Saturdays from July 7, 2018 to August 25, 2018 starting at dusk.
- July 7: Despicable Me 3
- July 14: Emoji Movie
- July 21: Elf
- July 28: Cars 3
- August 4: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- August 11: Coco
- August 18: Beauty and the Beast
- August 25: Thor: Ragnarok
For more information about free movie nights at Assembly Row in Somerville, please head here.
Sunday Night Movie Night at Christopher Columbus Park
Enjoy a free movie night on the lawn at Christopher Columbus Park every Sunday night from July 22, 2018 to August 26, 2018 starting at dusk.
- July 22: Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid
- July 29: Roman Holiday
- August 6: Chariots of Fire
- August 12: Mary Poppins
- August 19: Apollo 13
- August 26: Short Film: Henry & the Elephant & Finding Dory
Mayor Walsh’s Movie Nights
Mayor Walsh and the Boston Parks and Recreation Department and Northeastern University are bringing free movies to Boston neighborhoods on select dates this August. All movies start at dusk.
- August 2: The Nut Job Two, Town Field in Dorchester
- August 6: Leap!, Dusk Fallon Playground in Roslindale
- August 8: The Lego Ninjago, Ronan Park in Dorchester
- August 9: Paddington 2, Doherty Playground in Charlestown
- August 13: Peter Rabbit, Medal of Honor Park in South Boston
- August 16: Sing, Ramsay Park in Roxbury
- August 20: Despicable Me 3, Hardiman Field in Allston-Brighton
- August 21: Cars 3, Walker Playground in Mattapan
- August 23: Coco, Hynes Playground in West Roxbury
- August 27: Beauty and the Beast, Brophy Park in East Boston
- August 30: The Emoji Movie, Iacono Playground in Hyde Park
For more information about Mayor Walsh’s free movie nights, please head here.
The Coolidge at the Greenway
The Coolidge is partnering with the Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy for a free outdoor screening at the Greenway’s Wharf District Park at sunset.
- June 19: Rear Window
- July 24: Raiders of the Lost Ark
- August 21: Double Feature: The Incredible Shrinking Man & Revenge of the Creature
For more information about The Coolidge at the Greenway free movie series, please head here.
Films by the Gate
Celebrate Asians and Asian Americans in film by watching classic kung fu films and other Asian films this summer at the Gate in Chinatown. This free film festival is August 24-26, 2018 at the gate in Chinatown.
Film schedule is TBD. For more up-to-date information about free Films by the Gate, please head here.
Classics on the Common
Head to Boston Common near Frog Pond in September for two free movie nights on Fridays at dusk.
- September 7: Black Panther
- September 21: Karate Kid
For more information about Classics on the Common, please head here.
MFA Sunset Cinema
Enjoy this free monthly film series on the Museum of Fine Art’s Huntington Avenue Lawn. There will be music, art making, and lawn games 90 minutes prior to the free movie.
- June 20: Black Panther at 7PM
- July 12: Faces Places at 7PM
- August 9: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind at 6:30PM
- September 13: The Wicker Man at 6PM
For more information about Sunset Cinema at the MFA, please head here.
Jaws on D
Narragansett presents a free movie screening of Jaws on The Lawn on D in South Boston from 8-10PM.
- June 29: Jaws
For more information about Jaws on D, please head here.
Revere Beach Movie Nights
Free Theatre Thursdays with a free outdoor movie screening on the beach at dusk (with activities from 6-8PM) at either Kelly’s Roast Beef or William G. Reinstein Bandstand in Revere. All Thursday night movies will have a rain date of Friday night. There are also two free Saturday Date Night movies that start at dusk as well.
- July 1: Jaws (Saturday Date Night Movie)
- July 5: Hocus Pocus at Kelly’s Roast Beef
- July 12: The Lion King at William G. Reinstein Bandstand
- July 14: Top Gun (Saturday Date Night Movie)
- July 19: Back to the Future at Kelly’s Roast Beef
- July 26: Coco at William G. Reinstein Bandstand
- August 2: Moana at Kelly’s Roast Beef
- August 9: Thor: Ragnarok at William G. Reinstein Bandstand
Movies by the Lake
Wakefield Community Access TV is sponsoring free movies by the Lake this summer in Wakefield, MA. Free outdoor movies will take place at Lake Quannapowitt by the Bandstand at nightfall.
- June 28: Men in Black
- July 12: Moana
- July 26: Jaws
- August 9: E.T.
- August 23: Wonder Woman
For more information about Free Movies by the Lake in Wakefield, please head here.
The Davis Summer Film Series
Enjoy musicals outdoors on the Davis Plaza at Wellesley College with free movies and ice cream. Movies start at dusk.
- July 12: The Muppets
- July 26: Mary Poppins
- August 9: Beauty and the Beast
For more information about the 2018 Summer Film series, please head here.
Patriot Place Summer Flicks
Free outdoor movies at NRG Plaza (right outside Patriots ProShop) at Patriot Place in Foxboro, MA on select dates this summer sponsored by Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt. Free summer flicks start at dusk but pre-entertainment begins at 6PM.
- July 1: Justice League
- July 11: Despicable Me 3
- August 1: Cars 3
- August 8: Toy Story
- August 15: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
- August 31: Wonder
For more information about Free Sumer Flicks at Patriot Place, please head here.
Please leave a comment below if there are any more great and free movie series happening this summer in Boston or if there’s any errors mentioned above.
Please do your due-diligence to ensure that all information provided above is correct before you head out to a free outdoor movie showing, especially if there’s bad weather!
What is your favorite movie or outdoor movie series in Boston and beyond?
- Things to Do in Boston This Weekend (November 20-22): Free & Cheap Events - November 19, 2020
- How to Watch New England Patriots Games Free or Cheap without Cable - November 9, 2020
- Apple & Pumpkin Picking and Farm Fun in the Greater Boston Area - October 6, 2020