There are so many fun and free outdoor movie series happening in Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville this summer! Below are free outdoor movies that are free and open to the public for Summer 2015 in Boston!
1. Boston Harbor Hotel Classic Movie Friday
The Boston Harbor Hotel is airing a classic movie in their courtyard as part of their Summer in the City series every Friday night starting at dusk from June 12-September 4, 2015.
- June 12: Kramer v. Kramer
- June 19: Groundhog Day
- June 26: The Princess Bride
- July 3: Rocky
- July 10: Big
- July 17: African Queen
- July 24: Young Frankenstein
- July 31: Field of Dreams
- August 7: The Big Sleep
- August 14: Raiders of the Lost Ark
- August 21: Now Voyager
- August 28: The Apartment
- September 4: The Quiet Man
To view the complete schedule or for more information, please head here.
2. Free Friday Flicks at the Hatch Shell
- July 10: Paddington
- July 17: Big Hero 6
- July 24: E.T.
- July 31: Indiana Jones & Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- August 7: Disney’s Cinderella
- August 14: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day
- August 21: Guardian of the Galaxy
- August 28: Maleficent
For more information about Free Friday Flicks at the Hatch Shell, please head here.
3. Lawn on D Movie Series
Head to the Lawn on D in South Boston for a free outdoor movie every Friday night in June starting at dusk. Local bands also play an hour before the movie begins.
- June 5: Hairspray
- June 12: Jaws
- June 19: Soul Power
- June 26: Yellow Submarine
For more information about Lawn on D’s free movie series, please head here.
4. Summer Movie Night at The Sinclair
BostInno reports The Sinclair in Cambridge is hosting a summer movie night once a month on their second-story patio starting at 8:30pm with doors opening at 8pm for free with RSVP.
- June 9: Spaceballs
- July 8: The Goonies
- August 11: Dirty Dancing
For more information about The Sinclair’s free summer movie series, please head here.
5. The Coolidge at the Greenway
The Coolidge Corner theatre is bringing free movies to the Rose Kennedy Greenway this summer for three movie nights. All three free screenings will take place at sunset at the Greenway’s Wharf District between Milk Street and India Street in Boston.
- Tuesday, June 16 (Rain date: June 23): American Graffiti
- Tuesday, July 14 (Rain date: July 21): The Birds
- Tuesday, August 4 (Rain date: August 11): E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
For more information about the Coolidge at the Greenway’s free movie series, please head here.
6. Magic 106.7 Family Film Festival at the Prudential Center
Magic 106.7 Family Film Festival takes place under the stars in the courtyard at the Prudential Center every Saturday from July 11, 2015 to August 29, 2015 at dusk. Entertainment, children’s activities, and giveaways start at 6 p.m. and the rain date for all films take place the following Wednesday if needed.
- July 11: The Boxtrolls
- July 18: Frozen
- July 25: Big Hero 6
- August 1: Up
- August 8: Paddington
- August 15: Ratatouille
- August 22: Toy Story
- August 29: Despicable Me
For more information about the free Family Film Festival, please head here.
7. Mayor Walsh’s Movie Nights
Mayor Walsh and the Boston Parks and Recreation Department and Northeastern University is bringing free movies this summer in August. All movies start at dusk and are in parks all across Boston
- August 3: The Lego Movie, Mattapan
- August 10: The Boxtrolls, South Boston
- August 13: Miracle, Charlestown
- August 17: Big Hero 6, Roxbury
- August 18: Paddington, West Roxbury
- August 20: Monsters University, Hyde Park
- August 24: Planes Fire and Rescue, East Boston
- August 27: Despicable Me 2, Dorchester
For more information about Mayor Walsh’s free movie nights, please head here.
8. Classics on the Common
Head to Boston Common in September for three free movie nights on Fridays at dusk near Frog Pond.
- September 11: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
- September 18: The Goonies
- September 25: Back to the Future
For more information about Classics on the Common, please head here and scroll to page 4.
9. Sunday Night Movie Night at Christopher Columbus Park
Enjoy a free movie night on the lawn at Christopher Columbus Park every Sunday night at dusk from July 12 to August 16, 2015 sponsored by Boston Push Cart.
- July 12: Driving Miss Daisy
- July 19: Toy Story
- July 26: Shrek 2
- August 2: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- August 9: Money Ball
- August 16: Sabrina
For more information about Sunday Night Movie night, please head here.
10. Sylvester Baxter Riverfront Park Movie Series
The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation are hosting free movie nights along the Mystic River in front of Assembly Row on Saturdays at dusk.
- July 11: Paddington
- July 18: Big Hero 6
- July 25: E.T.
- August 1: Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull
- August 8: Disney’s Cinderella
- August 15: Alexander and the Very Bad Day
- August 22: Guardians of the Galaxy
- August 29: Maleficent
For more information about free movie nights at Assembly Row in Somerville, please head here.
11. Cinema Somerville Outdoor Summer Movie Series
Somerville Community Access TV is hoting Cinema Somerville,” an outdoor movie series on Wednesdays in July at 8:30 p.m. at the Somerville Community Growing Center. The rain location is The Uniun at 11 Sanborn Ct. in Union Square.
- July 1: The Little Shop of Horrors
- July 8: The Three Stooges and Popeye & Bugs Bunny
- July 15: The Boy in the Plastic Bubble
- July 22: Return of the Kung Fu Dragon
- July 29: Charles Chapin shorts
For more information about this free summer movie series, please head here.
Please leave a comment below if there are any more great and free movie series happening this summer in Boston or if there’s any errors mentioned above. Please do your due-diligence to ensure that all information provided above is correct before you head out to a free outdoor movie showing, especially if there’s bad weather!
For more free and fun summer events happening in Boston, please head here.
You May Also Like:
27 Free Things to Do in Boston This Summer
Free Summer Concerts and Music Series in Boston
Free Fitness Classes & Events in Boston for Summer 2015
Birthday Meals and Deals in Boston
Top Things to Do in Boston
Red Sox Games on a Budget
Cheap Eats in Boston
Half Price Event Tickets