Outdoor movie screenings are a fun way to end a nice summer day and luckily there are so many free outdoor movie series in and around Boston for summer 2016!
I’ve included a few more outside the city this year since I got a few requests (and got sent a few outside the city movie series) so I figured I’d try to include as many as I could find. Not all free movie series are posted yet, so I’ll try to update this as we get further into summer.
Please let me know in the comments below if I missed any of your favorite outdoor movie nights in or around the city.
Here’s the 2016 Free Outdooor Movie Night Screenings & Series:
Boston Harbor Hotel Classic Movie Friday
The Boston Harbor Hotel is airing a classic movie in their courtyard as part of their Summer in the City series every Friday night starting at dusk from June 10, 2016 to September 9, 2016.
- 6/10: Dirty Dancing
- 6/17: Jaws
- 6/24: ET The Extra Terrestrial (Restored)
- 7/1: An Affair To Remember
- 7/8: The Wizard Of Oz
- 7/15: Letters To Juliet
- 7/22: Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
- 7/29: Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
- 8/5: Back To The Future
- 8/12: Toy Story
- 8/19: The Sandlot
- 8/26: Some Like It Hot
- 9/2: Star Trek (2009)
- 9/9: Mamma Mia!
To view the complete schedule or for more information, please head here.
Free Friday Flicks at the Hatch Shell
WBZ NewsRadio 1030 and the Department of Conservation and Recreation host the Annualc Free Fridays flicks movie series at the DCR Hatch Shell. Free Friday flicks start at dusk but activities and fun kick off at 6 p.m. on Fridays this summer from June 24, 2016 to August 26, 2016!
- June 24: Mininons
- July 15: Cinderella
- July 22: Inside Out
- July 29: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- August 5: The Good Dinosaur
- August 12: Jurassic World
- August 19: Up
- August 26: Ant-Man
For more information about Free Friday Flicks at the Hatch Shell, please head here.
Magic 106.7 Family Film Festival at the Prudential Center
Magic 106.7 Family Film Festival takes place under the stars in the courtyard at the Prudential Center every Saturday from July 2, 2016 to August 31, 2016 at dusk. Entertainment, children activities, and giveaways start at 6 p.m. The rain date for all films take place the following Tuesday if needed.
- July 2: Minions
- July 9: Wizard of Oz
- July 16: Good Dinosaur
- July 23: Tangled
- July 30: Inside Out
- August 6: Brave
- August 13: Zootopia
- August 20: A Bugs Life
- August 27: Mary Poppins
For more information about the free Family Film Festival, please head here.
Mayor Walsh’s Movie Nights
Mayor Walsh and the Boston Parks and Recreation Department and Northeastern University is bringing free movies this summer in August and one in September too. All movies start at dusk and are in parks across Boston.
- August 8: The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water, Hunt/Almont Park in Mattapan
- August 11: Mininons, L Street Beach in South Boston
- August 15: Shaun the Sheep, Ringer Playground in Allston
- August 17: The Good Dinosaur, Eden Street in Charlestown
- August 18: Big Hero 6, Fallon Field in Roslindale
- August 22: Up, East Boston Stadium in East Boston
- August 25: Zootopia, Ramsay Park in Roxbury
- August 29: Monsters University, Harambee Park in Dorchester
- September 1: The Lego Movie, Draper Playground in West Roxbury
For more information about Mayor Walsh’s free movie nights, please head here.
Classics on the Common
Head to Boston Common in September for three free movie nights on Fridays at dusk near Frog Pond.
- September 9: Mininons
- September 16: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- September 23: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
For more information about Classics on the Common, please head here.
Sunday Night Movie Night at Christopher Columbus Park
Enjoy a free movie night on the lawn at Christopher Columbus Park every Sunday night at dusk from July 10 to August 14, 2016.
- July 10: My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- July 17: Monster Inc.
- July 24: Remember the Titans
- July 31: Tootsie
- August 7: Ghostbusters (1984)
- August 14: Raiders of the Lost Ark
For more information about Sunday Night Movie night, please head here.
Sylvester Baxter Riverfront Park Movie Series
The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation are hosting free movie nights at Sylvester Baxter Riverfront Park in Somerville on Saturdays at dusk from July 9, 2016 to August 27, 2016.
- July 9: Minions
- July 16: Disney’s Cinderella
- July 23: Inside Out
- July 30: Star Wars: Force Awakens
- August 6: Good Dinosaur
- August 13: Jurassic World
- August 20: Up
- August 27: Ant-Man
For more information about free movie nights at Assembly Row in Somerville, please head here.
Family Flicks and Fun in the Park
Enjoy a free family movie every Friday night in July in Brookline at approximately 8:30pm.
- July 8: Minions (Waldstein Playground)
- July 15: Shaun the Sheep Movie (Waldstein Playground)
- July 22: Inside Out (Fisher Hill Reservoir)
- July 29: Zootopia (Waldstein Playground)
For more information about free family flicks in Brookline, please head here.
Revere Beach Family Movie Night
Free movie night every Thursday nights at dusk from July 30, 2016 to August 11, 2016 at Revere Beach (either Kelly’s Roast Beef or William G. Reinstein Bandstand). Rain date is scheduled for the next day, Friday if needed.
- June 30: Mininons
- July 7: Zookeeper
- July 14: The Goonies
- July 21: Monsters Inc
- July 28: Avengers: Age of Ultron
- August 4: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- August 11, 2016: Up
For more information about free movie nights at Revere Beach, please head here.
Movies at the Mansion
If you live or work near Waltham, you may want to check out Movies at the Mansion on Thursday nights at dusk during the month of in July at Lyman Estate.
- July 7: Mininons
- July 14: The Sandlot
- July 21: Beetlejuice
- July 28: Casablanca
For more information about free movies at the Lyman Estate in Waltham, please head here.
Fort Point Impromptu Movie Nights
If you are a fan of no notice and last minute plans (not me, give me a schedule for this, please!) you’ll love Fort Point Impromptu Movie Nights where they will dishing out the details at the last minute. For a little bit of notice, you’ve got to visit FortPoint.org or follow @FortPointStage on twitter for more information.
Movie screenings will be in Fort Point, and you can find (some) information here.
Please leave a comment below if there are any more great and free movie series happening this summer in Boston or if there’s any errors mentioned above.
Please do your due-diligence to ensure that all information provided above is correct before you head out to a free outdoor movie showing, especially if there’s bad weather!
What is your favorite movie or outdoor movie series in Boston and beyond?
You May Also Like:
- Free Things to Do This Summer in Boston
- Free Music Series and Concerts in Boston for Summer 2016
- Free Fitness Series and Classes in Boston for Summer 2016
- Whale Watching Discounts for Summer 2016
- Discount Tickets for Codzilla
- Boston Duck Tour Discount Tickets
- Provincetown Fast Ferry Discount Tickets
- Red Sox Games on a Budget