Did you know that you can get great discounts and free admission to many local attractions and museums in the Greater Boston area with your Boston Public Library card when you reserve a museum pass? Going to the museum free or on the cheap is one of the best things to do in Boston on the weekend or any time!
Please note that you do not have to live in Boston to have a BPL card, but you do need to live in Massachusetts and have less than $10 in fees on your current card. Here are the discounts and free offers you can receive:
- Museum of Science: Free pass (up to 4 people)
- New England Aquarium: Free pass from September – June (up to 4 people)
- Boston Children’s Museum: Discounted pass, half-price per person; will admit up to 4 people
- Harvard Museum of Natural History: Coupon for $4 per person, and no reservation needed, but call your local BPL to check availability beforehand (up to 4 people)
- Massachusetts DCR Parks Pass: Free parking pass at a state park that charges a parking fee (up to one vehicle)
- Museum of Fine Arts: Discounted pass for $10 per person (up to 2 people)
The following passes are available at select BPL locations:
- Boston by Foot (Jamaica Plain): Member privileges on any tour but does not include architectural river or harbor tours (up to 4 people)
- Boston Harbor Islands (Copley, Charlestown, East Boston, North End, South Boston, South End, West End): 2-for-1 ferry passes available seasonally during warm-weather months, weekdays only (up to four people)
- Institute of Contemporary Art/ICA (Central Library, Jamaica Plain): Discounted passes at $5 per person (up to 2 adults)
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (Central Library, Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, West Roxbury): Discounted pass at $5 per person (up to 4 people on weekdays & 2 people on weekends/holidays)
- John F Kennedy Library and Museum (Central Library, Jamaica Plain): Discounted pass at $3 per person (up to 2 adults)
- Larz Anderson Auto Museum (Jamaica Plain): Free pass (admits one family)
- Zoo New England (Check website for available locations): Discounted passes at $6 per adult and $4 per child and 10% discount at concessions and gift store (up to 6 people) Note: Some older passes may have different conditions listed here & at the BPL Library website, but consult what is on the pass itself for exact benefits
Free and discount passes can be reserved up to 60 days in advance, and popular passes tend to go quick so make sure to plan ahead.
Also, if you do live outside Boston, don’t forget to check your local library for even more discounts and passes.
For more information, please visit here.
Have you reserved a museum or attraction pass through the BPL before?
- Things to Do in Boston This Weekend (November 20-22): Free & Cheap Events - November 19, 2020
- How to Watch New England Patriots Games Free or Cheap without Cable - November 9, 2020
- Apple & Pumpkin Picking and Farm Fun in the Greater Boston Area - October 6, 2020