After months of hype and anticipation, Disney+ is finally here! Being touted by many as the ultimate family-friendly streaming service with something for everyone, we thought we’d share our thoughts on this brand new streaming service with you so you can decide if it’s worth trying out for your family.
In this Disney Plus review below, you’ll learn everything you need to know about the service, including how much it costs, how to sign up, which shows and movies are available, where you can watch it, and so much more.
What is the Disney+ Streaming App?
Disney+ (pronounced “Disney Plus”) is a subscription streaming service that offers on-demand TV shows and movies from Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, Nat Geo, and other Disney-owned properties.
If you’re familiar with Netflix, Hulu, and other popular streaming services, Disney+ is along the lines of those services. The difference is Disney+ offers a lot of content you can’t get anywhere else, is focused on offering shows and movies that are family-friendly (no R-rated content), and has a price point ($6.99 a month) about half as expensive as the most popular Netflix plan.
What is the Disney Plus Price?
Disney+ costs $6.99 a month, or you can sign up for a full year by paying $69.99 upfront and saving $14 overall. This basically gives you two months free of the Disney Plus app over the course of the year. Unlike Netflix, there is just one Disney+ tier — $6.99 a month gets you everything the service offers plus 4K streaming and up to 4 simultaneous streams.
It’s worth noting there are a couple other Disney+ deals available you might be interested in:
- Disney Plus Bundle w/ Hulu & ESPN+—If you’re someone who wants even more content, you can bundle Disney+ with Hulu (w/ limited ads) and ESPN+ (live sports and on-demand programming) for $12.99 a month. That’s $5 a month cheaper than if you got each service separately.
- Get One Year Free w/ Verizon Fios or Verizon Wireless—Current Verizon Wireless customers on an unlimited plan and/or new Verizon Fios home internet/TV customers can get one year of Disney+ for free as a bonus from their provider. Click here for the details and fine print.
Is There a Disney Plus Free Trial?
Yes, you can try Disney+ free for one full week without committing to a monthly subscription. If you wish to keep the service, you don’t need to do anything and you’ll be automatically charged $6.99 a month once your trial period ends. If you don’t want to keep it, just cancel before the end of the 7-day trial period and you won’t be charged a thing.
How Do You Watch Disney+?
Just like with Netflix or any other TV streaming service, you need an internet connection and a device to stream Disney Plus on. You can get the Disney Plus app on:
- Streaming Players –Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku
- Video Game Consoles–PlayStation 4, Xbox One (no Nintendo support at this time)
- Smart TVs–Amazon Fire Smart TVs, Android-based Sony Smart TVs, LG Smart TVs, Roku Smart TVs
- Mobile Devices–Android phones & tablets, Amazon Fire tablets, Apple devices (iPhone/iPad)
- Web browsers
What Disney Plus Shows and Movies are Available?
There is a big selection of Disney Plus shows and movies available already at launch, and we expect the library to continue to expand in the coming months. While there’s no way we can list every single show and movie available, here are some of the highlights:
- Disney shows and movies–Classic and recent Disney movies (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Cinderella, Bambi, Moana, etc.), thousands of episodes of Disney Channel and Disney Junior series (PJ Masks, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Kim Possible, High School Musical, etc.), and more.
- Pixar films and shorts–Toy Story 1-3, Monsters Inc., A Bug’s Life, Ratatouille, Inside Out, The Incredibles, Cars, and more.
- Marvel movies and TV series–16 of the Marvel movie universe films are available at launch (the rest will follow), classic animated series from X-Men and Spider-Man, Marvel’s Runaways, and more. Additionally, Disney+ will be releasing its own exclusive Marvel TV series in the coming months and years.
- Star Wars movies and TV series–Includes the original trilogy, the prequels, Star Wars: A Force Awakens, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, LEGO Star Wars, Star Wars: Rebels, Star Wars Resistance, The Mandalorian (a Disney+ original series), and more upcoming Disney+ original Star Wars TV series.
- National Geographic content–A wide variety of Nat Geo films, documentaries, and series are available on Disney+.
- The Simpsons
- And more…
What Other Disney+ Features Should You Know About?
Here are some of the key Disney+ features that are important to know:
- No contract — cancel any time
- No commercials
- Download content to watch offline — anywhere, any time
- 4K streaming included
- Dolby Atmos support
- Up to 4 streams at a time
- Available on most streaming devices
- Try it free for 7 days
Is Disney Plus Worth the Money?
Disney+ is a great value and offers a lot of content for a wide variety of audiences, including families, fans of Marvel/Star Wars/other Disney properties, fans of classic Disney films, and others.
The best way to tell if Disney+ is worth it for you is to get the 7-day free trial and see for yourself.
- Halloween Events in Boston – Best Parties & Things To Do in 2021 - October 25, 2021
- Apple Picking & Pumpkin Patch Farms in Boston – Best Farms To Pick Berries & other Fruits - August 27, 2021
- Mother’s Day Brunch in Boston – 2021 Restaurants Specials - May 6, 2021